If you’re just getting into the world of body modification, you probably have a lot of questions about the different types of body jewelry out there. Here at In The Skin Tattoo And Piercing Studio, we believe in educating our customers about body jewelry in Victoria, TX and its many different manifestations, so we’ve put together a basic guide. Read on to find out about the different ways you can decorate your body.
- Studs: Studs are the most basic form of body jewelry, and are often what you’ll get when you first get a new piercing. With their simple post shape, studs are the best options for ear cartilage piercings, including lowbrets, bites, medusas, tragus and forward helix piercings.
- Barbells: A barbell is essentially a stud with balls or other decorative pieces on each end of the post. However, unlike studs, barbells can be straight, curved, or even spiraled. Straight barbells are often used for tongue piercings, nipple piercings, some cartilage piercings, and occasionally in septum piercings, if they’re flexible. Curved barbells are most often found in eyebrow, navel, ear cartilage and septum piercings. Finally, spiral or wave barbells are used for decorative effect in the navel, ears or lip.
- Rings and loops: Ringed or looped body jewelry includes captive rings, horseshoe rings, and lippy loops, which are the ideal shape for lip piercings. Rings are among the most universal body jewelries out there, and can be used for most types of piercings.
- Shields: When body modification enthusiasts really want to make their nipple or belly button piercings stand out, they often turn to shields. Shields are essentially barbells with open centers, and come in many different shapes. Some examples of common shield shapes are anchors, flowers and hearts.
- Gauges: Gauges, which fill in large earlobe piercings, come in three basic varieties: plugs, tunnels and tapers. Plugs are solid jewelry that completely fills the piercing, and are often flared. Plugs also come in popular shapes like hearts and teardrops. Tunnels are plugs that are hollow in the center, so that one can see through the piercings. Tunnels also come in a variety of materials, shapes and designs. Finally, tapers are the most varied options when filling gauge piercings. Tapers come in many shapes, including straight, curved, spirals, loops and hanger style. However, all tapers change in thickness in different parts of the jewelry, and the thickest part is always meant to fill the gauge.
The world of body modification can sometimes seem like an intimidating one, but it doesn’t have to be that way. Hopefully this helps you gain some insight into the different types of body jewelry available to you. If you still aren’t sure which type of jewelry is right for you, you can just call or visit In The Skin Tattoo And Piercing Studio with all your questions about body jewelry in Victoria, TX. We look forward to helping you find the perfect body jewelry for your body, your aesthetic and your needs!